Hello! This is my first month’s subscription with Allure’s Sample Society. Similar to other beauty subscription boxes, for $15 a month you receive 5-6 deluxe samples of beauty products. You also receive Allure’s “mini-mag” which is essentially a product card on steroids and the best one I’ve ever seen. After reading the mini-mag, there will be no doubt in your mind how to use the products. In addition, your membership comes with a $10 credit to BeautyBar.com that’s good for any purchase you make within that month of at least $50. Sample Society doesn’t have a traditional referral link but if you are interested in trying it out for yourself, you can use this code: LAUR324430
This is the aforementioned mini-mag. This month’s theme is Winter Survival. Each page breaks down the products included in the box and tells you exactly how to use them.
Included in the box:
- Malin + Goetz Bergamot Body Wash: This smells nice. Not overly sweet, which is something I tend to prefer in my body washes but this is a nice, citrus-y smell. The mini-mag said someone described the scent as Earl Grey and that is totally it.
- Calvin Klein Reveal: I don’t tend to enjoy receiving perfume samples in my boxes but this smells very nice. Very warm and surprising. The card says there are notes of raw salt and a variety of peppers: pink, black, and white. This is definitely appropriate for the season!
- Alterna Caviare Anti-Aging Omega+ Nourishing Oil: This is a product I’m unlikely to use as the mini-mag says that they don’t recommend it for fine hair, and although I have a lot of it, it’s pretty fine. However, this looks like it would be very nice if you had thicker hair.
- Lorac Cobra Mascara: Now, this is an interesting product. You see one mascara, you’ve seen them all. Except this mascara wand is in the shape of a cobra head! I’ve never seen anything like this before. If you kind of cup your hand lightly, that is the shape of this wand. That means, there is kind of a flat side. Interesting. I’ve been using this formula for a few days and it’s shiny and black though the wand is neat, it allows for clumps. But if you have a comb, it works out just fine.
- MD Solar Sciences MD Creme Mineral Beauty Balm: This looks like a nice matte bb cream, however, it’s a bit too dark for my skin.
For my first month, I am rating this box a C. There are 2 products included that I can’t use at all (the hair oil and bb cream) but I enjoyed the perfume, the mascara and the body wash. I know not every month is a winner so I’m going to keep this for a few more months to see if it improves at all but if it doesn’t, this is one I’ll cancel. I don’t think the reward system is that great and $10 off a $50 doesn’t really entice me. I tend to shop at Birchbox or Sephora for my rewards so I don’t think I’ll be switching over to BeautyBar anytime soon. However, BeautyBar does utilize ebates so that’s neat!