My friend Ashley and I regularly talk about our “Best Friend Group.” You might think this is the group of gals we pal around with. It’s not. It’s our delusional celebrity best friend crew. So for this Friday Favorites, I am going to write about my favorite famous women who are my imaginary best friends. (There are actually more of them but I limited myself to 10 today.) There is a common denominator with all of them: smart, funny, talented. But they are all pretty different, too. Who are some of your fave females? Let us know in the comments!
- Taylor Swift: I think if you’ve been reading Boxy Ladies with any sort of regularity, you know I have an (unhealthy?) obsession with our girl Taylor. I could go on and on about how great I think she is but I’ve done that before. I bring her up because Ashley and I based our Taylor Swift Rule off of her. Taylor Swift is like the number 1 Girl’s Girl. We don’t trust girls who aren’t Girls’ Girls– The girls that say, “I only have guy friends.” Those are the girls that have no problem stealing your boyfriend but our Taylor Swift Rule of choosing friends who live by TSwift philosophies eliminates those no-good hussies from our lives. We think the rest of the girls in our Best Friend Group would meet this criteria.
- Anna Kendrick: Anna Kendrick is just one of the best humans to ever walk the earth. She’s wildly talented but also sharply hilarious and self-deprecating. I have her tweets sent directly to my phone so I pretend she’s texting me her witty thoughts throughout the day.
- Mindy Kaling: While I will always bow down to Tina Fey, Mindy is the girl I relate to the most. I love how she’s into some of the same ridiculous and superficial things I am (Real Housewives, makeup, jewelry, etc.) but she’s a no joke #GIRLBOSS. No one deserves her success more than she does. Love you, girl.
- Kristen Bell: Two words: Veronica Mars. More than two words: Kristen Bell really WAS Veronica Mars. She was the heart and soul of one of the greatest shows of all time (and my personal favorite show) and she helped campaign for the Veronica Mars movie we all deserved. Like Anna, Kristen is hilarious and whip smart. Unlike Anna, Kristen is married to the lovely Dax Sheppherd and she gets bonus points for that because he’s delightful.
- Mandy Moore: I’ve been a fan of Mandy’s since the “Candy” days. But what’s really intrigued me about her are the guys she’s dated. She always came across as pretty vanilla in the media but she dated indie darling Zach Braff for a long time. Then she randomly dated DJ AM. (RIP.) And even more randomly, one day it came out she was dating alt country rocker Ryan Adams. This makes me realize Mandy has a hidden edge and I think we’d be friends. I’ve had to infer a lot of this info just from her dating life because she’s so private but I also love her music. I imagine she and Ryan would write songs together. They’ve since divorced which makes me sad but I’ve spied on her instagram that she’s doing fun things like hiking with her friends so I think she’s doing ok. Get that alimony, girlfriend.
- Jennifer Lawrence: I’m not sure what to say about my girl J-Law that hasn’t been said before but she is just wonderful. I like how “real” she seems in interviews and at events. She is hilarious but also talented. And she’s Katniss. Need I say more?
- Emma Stone: Emma Stone is everything Lindsay Lohan was supposed to be. She’s poised, smart, talented and most importantly not on meth/in jail like LiLo. Also, her performance of Blue’s Traveler’s Hook on the Tonight Show was pretty amazing.
- Kelly Clarkson: Kelly Clarkson will ALWAYS be MY American Idol. (I voted. And continue to vote.) Besides being a hometown hero (she went to high school with some of my pals) she’s also crazy talented! I buy all of her albums and they are fantastic. She is also very hilarious and delightful as displayed on her recent spot on Watch What Happens Live. I tried so hard to embed a link to WWHL but failed so just click here.
- Amy Poehler: Clearly I like funny girls. It’s a running theme here. I came to know and love Amy on SNL but she really came into her own on Parks and Rec which was phenomenal. I love how vocal she is about empowering girls and women. She recently came out with her first book Yes Please and I can’t wait to read it.
- Lena Dunham: I used to sort of hate Lena Dunham because she’s essentially living my dreams in terms of creating and writing her own show. (Obviously she stars in it also but that was never my particular dream.) I was so jealous of her because she is so young and doing things I’ve always wanted to do but was too lazy to actually go try to do. But then I decided to change my jealousy into admiration. I also think some of the things she’s written and done are so brave because she puts it ALL OUT THERE. I think that’s where I’ve struggled in my writing because I haven’t wanted to be as open and brave as she has. I look at her and know that I’ll find my brave in my writing someday!
Hope you enjoyed my (partial) list! I will write a Part 2 someday! Have a great weekend!