April was a strange and wonderful month for me. I moved into MY AWESOME HOUSE, which was wonderful, but less wonderful was the fact that my boxes didn’t know where to go. Birchbox was one of the casualties but their customer service was fantastic. I told them that I was devastated to not receive this amazing Rifle Paper Co. Birchbox because of my move and they sent another one out immediately. Weirdly enough, about a week later I think my original box made it to me. I think I was more excited about receiving the box itself more than any of the products because I think it’s sooooo pretty. I think this confirmed that I need a Rifle Paper Co. phone case.
But since this is a subscription box blog, I suppose I’ll write about the products I got also. (For the record, the products were the same for both boxes.)
In case you’re just now joining us, Birchbox is a $10/month beauty subscription box loosely put together based on a beauty quiz you fill out upon signing up. Birchbox has several different box variations so the box you get may differ from mine.
- Harvey Prince Yogini perfume sample: I don’t always love receiving perfume samples but this one was surprisingly nice. It’s described as a stress-dissolving scent that mixes light, crisp notes of grapefruit with star jasmine. It’s very light and clean. Full size retails for $55.
- Jane Iredale Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain: this is a lip color that’s supposed to “adapt” to your skin tone. I don’t totally trust those but it did lean towards a peachy nude when it was applied. Not terrible! Full size is $25.
- Number 4 Hydrating Shampoo: this is a nice smelling sulfate-free shampoo. I know I need to be on the sulfate-free bandwagon but I just love my sulfates. I just do. Full size is $34.
- Supergoop Daily Correct CC Cream SPF 35: This sample was in the shade Light/Medium so it was a bit too dark for my skin tone, which is disappointing because I’ve heard great things about this product. I tested it on my hand and it had great coverage over some skin discolorations and also felt nice. Full size is $32
- Temple Spa Peace Be Still Calming Face & Body Balm: this face and body lotion is described as “part skincare, part aromatherapy” but to me, this was a miss. It had a very “old lady-ish” scent to me. Sort of how department stores used to smell in the 80s: too many strong scents at once.
Final Grade: B
I almost don’t care that I didn’t like the products that much because the box is so cute. I’m trying to think which of my treasures I’m going to put in it. Surprisingly, my favorite item in the box this month was the perfume! I’m not sure if I’ll buy it but I’ll definitely use the whole sample!
If you are interested in signing up for Birchbox, click here for my referral link!