Hi, friends. This is my first Boxycharm review! After reading such awesome reviews of Boxycharm boxes, I bit the bullet and subscribed for $21/month. Well. I tried to subscribe. I was put on a wait list. And the wait list was a little confusing because you could still create an account even if you added your name to the wait list. Like, create an account and put your credit card information in and everything. I emailed them to be sure I was on a wait list still and didn’t have an account. Maybe it was just me, but I found that to be incredibly confusing but I really was just on the wait list. A few weeks later I got an email telling me I was off the wait list and I’d be receiving the October box. Yay!
However, a few internet groups I was in told me that the Boxycharm boxes were running late in October, so when I didn’t receive mine for awhile, I just decided to be patient, even though they charged my card on October 7th. However, a few days before the end of the month, I emailed them. They have an auto-reply when you contact them (as I learned when I was trying to understand if I was on the wait list) where they say they probably won’t get back to you for 48-72 hours. So I waited a few days but then it was the last day of the month so I decided to send them a message via Facebook to see what happened. I had waited the entire month for an October box so I felt OK trying to reach them via a different channel. At that point someone got back to me right away and seemed surprised I hadn’t received my box yet. Also seemed surprised I had waited so long to contact them, but it was my first box. I didn’t know when I was supposed to receive it! She seemed to think it was a shipping issue but assured me she would send me my October box right away. I received it on November 8th. That is a full month after my card was charged and definitely not within the month I was supposed to receive it.
I’m not going to do a full blown review because by now most people have probably seen the contents of this box but I still wanted to write my blog and tell my story about my first experience with Boxycharm.
The packaging is cute and you can see the card says the theme is Bewitched, which would be appropriate if it was October. We’ll pretend. No we won’t, it’s November. I tried.
The contents of the box were neat though. I received:
- Palmetto Derma Collagen Booster and Restoration Serum: I’m kind of annoyed with myself because this is the very last item in the box I looked at and now that I am looking at it, this seems like it is the perfect product for me. It has a high concentration of Vitamin C (kind of like another product I like) but also has Vitamin E and Hyaluronic Acid. In other words, MOISTURIZING. But it’s not heavy. I am going to start using this under my Dr. Jart+ bb cream because that other product I like broke in my bag on my honeymoon. I’m glad I hadn’t replaced it though, because now I have this!
- Coastal Scents Eclipse Concealer Palette: This was neat and one of the things I was most excited about to receive in the box. Though they don’t mention anything about contouring, I think this palette could be good for that but I haven’t mastered that technique yet. Might need to start practicing more!
- CULT/COMMERCE X BOXYCHARM “Shady” Collection: These are nail polish I did not try. I have heard from others that theirs arrived dried out but at this point I don’t even care to open them. I have so many Juleps I still need to try.
- Be A Bombshell Eye shadow: This is a really pretty olive colored eye shadow! The card says it’s “highly pigmented” but I do not find that to be the case. It looks super dark in the pan but it’s very sheer when you apply. However, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. You could do a more natural look or a dark smoky eye. I like the versatility.
- STARLOOKS Ultra Gem Pencils: This is the item I was most surprised about. It’s sort of a teal color and since it looks like a regular pencil, I was expecting a regular pencil formula but this is a very smooth, gel pencil. The color is teal which is not an every day color (unless you are Rock and Roll Melissa) but I have seen several high end liners in this same color. I feel like Marc Jacobs has one and this feels like a very similar formula to that one. I tried one of his eyeliners recently and those gel liners DO NOT budge and neither did this. Took some scrubbing. But I like that in a pencil. It means it’s not going to go anywhere! Ain’t nobody got time for disappearing eye liner.
So now I have to grade Boxycharm. I am automatically knocking off a grade for the hugely delayed box. That’s just crazy. And for my first box! Not a great introduction. But I do have to say I’m pretty impressed with the products I got for $21. That serum is super nice and I am mad at myself for letting it sit on my table for half a week before realizing how awesome it is. The eye shadow is very versatile and the eye liner seems to be nice quality, even if it’s a color I don’t wear every day. The concealer palette is also really versatile! So I think I am going to give the box a solid B. Not bad considering they were already down a bit! If you would like to try to sign up for Boxycharm, click here for a referral link! Maybe you will have better luck than me getting your box! I’m not sure how long I am going to keep this box based on some previews I have seen for the next box but you can bet I will be sharing my thoughts with you!
Lauren pays for the Boxycharm subscription. Post contains referral links.